American University President's House

Dublin Core

Title

American University President's House

Subject

The American University Centennial (1893-1993)

Description

"This house will have one of the most superb locations to be found in the District of
Columbia. On a clear day, it will have a view of nearly 25 miles to the Blue Ridge Mountains."

(The American University Courier, December 1924.)

Completed in 1925, this building served as the residence for the
university's Chancellors, later called Presidents. The exterior is a
reproduction of the Macey House on Nantucket Island built in 1854.
The President's Building stands in what was the front yard of the
General Murdock Home -- "The Old Farmhouse" -- which originally
stood on this property. The first Chancellor to live in this house was
Lucius C. Clark (1922-1932). In 1958, university President Hurst R.
Anderson (1952-1968) moved to a private residence and the building
was converted into administrative offices.

Source

Latitude: 38° 56’ 20.508” N
Longitude: 77° 5’ 17.2” W

Identifier

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:American_University_President%27s_House.jpg

Files

IMG_1609.jpg
D5gI+89KT%KC17QavtG+Qg.jpg

Citation

“American University President's House,” American University Project Plaque, accessed February 27, 2024, https://auprojectplaque.omeka.net/items/show/47.